You read that right, donuts benedictine! We haven’t gone mad. Eggs Benedictine is a classic and a must for a good all-round brunch. With this recipe, you’ll not only learn how to make eggs in this unique way, but you’ll also make a proper hollandaise sauce in record time. Enjoy this complete recipe in a different way with a doughnut as a base!
Products to prepare it with
- 2 doughnuts
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 slices of cheese
For the eggs benedict
- 1 L Water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 eggs
For the hollandaise sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of water
- salt (pinch)
- 50 g butter
Step by step preparation
To the doughnut
- Place the bacon in a frying pan without adding oil, brown over a medium heat for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut the doughnuts in half, fill with the bacon and cheese and set aside.
To the hollandaise sauce
- Place the egg yolk, lemon juice, water and salt in a saucepan over low heat. Stir with a whisk continuously for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add the cubed butter in three batches (do not add the rest until the previous butter has dissolved). Stir continuously, keeping the heat on low for at least 5 minutes.
- The hollandaise sauce will begin to thicken. Remove when you like the texture. Bear in mind that the sauce thickens as it cools so don’t leave it too thick.
To the Benedictine egg
- Place the water in a saucepan with the vinegar. Leave on a medium heat until it comes to the boil and remove from the heat.
- Crack an egg and place it in a bowl. Place a spoon in a saucepan and stir a couple of times to generate an encircling motion, add the egg in the centre and close the saucepan for 3 minutes. Do this process with each egg.
- Meanwhile, plug in the sandwich maker with the grill plates.
- Put the doughnut on the grill, close the grill without blocking the handle so as not to crush it. After about 3 to 5 minutes, the light indicating that it has reached the cooking temperature will go out and you can carefully remove the doughnut and repeat the operation.
- Carefully remove the egg from the pan, drain the water and place on top of the filled doughnut. Finally add the hollandaise sauce and garnish with chopped herbs.