The king of cold sauces (no offence to vinaigrette). Delicious and delicate, like all emulsions, and also somewhat delicate in terms of food safety as it’s made with raw eggs. Health risks can be minimised by being careful when handling the eggs, cracking them in a separate bowl and ensuring the content does not come into contact with the shell (which is where you’ll find salmonella bacteria). Mayonnaise must always be stored in a well-closed container in the fridge, and any remaining product thrown out after two days. The eggs and oil should be at room temperature to prevent curdling. It can be seasoned with mustard, chives or chopped shallots, lemon or lime rind, or herbs.
- One medium egg
- 200-250 ml mild olive oil or sunflower oil
- One tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar (15 ml)
Step by step preparation
- Place the whisk attachment in the workbowl. Add the egg, cracked in another bowl and with no traces of shell, 15 ml lemon juice or vinegar and a touch of salt to taste. Close the Chefbot and turn on at speed 3 with no set time.
- Open the feed tube and drizzle the oil until the mayonnaise
- is ready and emulsified.
- Then stop, open the Chefbot, use the spatula to pour the mayonnaise in a jar and serve immediately (or close and store in the fridge).